Sunday, November 10, 2013

a waffle that changed my life



Dust off your waffle iron!

For pennies you get a million dollars worth of nutrition and health.


Excerpt: I love waffles, but I don't like how I feel after eating them. Then I ate a waffle that changed my life! [For the whole article, click here.]

While visiting friends in Hawaii they treated my husband and I to homemade Belgian-style waffles. They were light, fluffy and really tasty. "They're made from soybean and rolled oats," Carrie explained, smiling.

Carrie handed me a tattered copy of "Oats, Peas, Beans and Barley Cookbook." As I flipped through the pages, timed rolled back to the mid 1970s when I made a lot of dishes with lentils, rice, soy and beans. "That's hippie food!" my Mom used to say.

Today, we know better. These aren't just food for hippies because the more plant-based foods we consume, the better.

Back in Alaska, I bought a used copy of the cookbook for $2.00. The waffle recipes in the book call for simple ingredients like pinto beans, garbanzo beans or soybeans, rolled oats, lentils, millet, rice, cashews and buckwheat. No eggs, milk or baking powder. Wheat-free, too.

For pennies you get a million dollars worth of nutrition and health. "One soy-oat waffle has protein equal in quantity and quality to that in a serving of steak," says author Edyth Young Cottrel.

No comments: